Monday, October 8, 2012

Well, Hello.

Hi. I'm Cotton. I'm an actress living, working, auditioning and generally fighting the good fight here in New York. I suspect that one day I'll be a director, since that seems to be the filter that I view just about everything through. The thought of directing right now is totally overwhelming. However, one day I think it will be inevitable.

To that end, I'm starting this blog. The intention will be to make somewhat universal observations about what works (or doesn't) with regard to storytelling in the theatrical medium and specific observations about what seem to be the crucial components of certain "classic" works (i.e. - works that would be likely to see a second life on the regional theater circuit or revival on Broadway). What are the things that are things that make a story pop? What are the things that allow the audience to really buy-in to the ending? What are the things that are really tricky to execute in a satisfying way?

The aim is to generate a catalog of key sights and things to think about for future directing ventures. And also to generate some dialogue on how to most effectively and cohesively communicate stories. In an ideal world, no one ever gets offended by anything that's posted on this blog. But "ever" is a long time, so that seems like a tall order. As such, I apologize in advance if something that I say here rubs you the wrong way.

With all that in mind, here we go!

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Post them below. The more the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment